Audiobook Romance (Review, Spotlight + Audio Excerpt, *Author Interview, Giveaway)
Author: Lisa Becker
Narrator: Suzanne Barbetta
Length: 8 hours 11 minutes
Publisher: Lisa Willet Becker
Released: May 30, 2018
Genre: Contemporary Romance
clutch: a novel is the laugh-out-loud, chick lit romance chronicling the dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson, a single purse designer who compares her unsuccessful romantic relationships to styles of handbags – the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, etc. With her best friend, bar owner Mike by her side, the overly-accommodating Caroline drinks a lot of Chardonnay, puts her heart on the line, endures her share of unworthy suitors and finds the courage to discover the “Clutch” or someone she wants to hold onto.
Lisa Becker is a romance writer who spends her time like she spends her money – on books and margaritas. In addition to Clutch: a novel, she is the author of the Click trilogy, a contemporary romance series about online dating and Links, a standalone, second chance romance readers call light, fun, sexy and smart. As Lisa’s grandmother used to say, “For every chair, there’s a tush.” Lisa is now happily married to a wonderful man she met online and lives in Manhattan Beach, California with him and their two daughters. So, if it happened for her, there’s hope for anyone! You can share your love stories with her at www.lisawbecker.com.
Suzanne Barbetta became a voracious reader when she realized the magic of books allowed her to become anyone, anywhere, and in any world. A storyteller and performer since age 5, she later apprenticed at 2 regional theaters and earned her Actor’s Equity card. She’s also a proud member of SAG-AFTRA, the Audio Publishers Association and the League of Professional Theatre Women. Audiobooks are a way to satisfy her pathological addiction to reading. Now based in NYC, she is also the voice of the Fierce, Funny, Fab Fangirls of the series Geek Actually for Serial Box Publishing.
To read my full review, Click Here
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Lisa Becker. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Custom Q&A with Author Lisa Becker by Audiobook Romance on July 2nd
- Where did the inspiration for Clutch come from? Secret bag obsession come to life or personal philosophy?
- When I was writing the Click trilogy, (Click: An Online Love Story, Double Click, and Right Click), I was obsessed with NCIS re-runs and would have the show on in the background as I wrote. There was an episode where a character refers to a man as a “handbag husband,” or something useless you carry on your arm. I started thinking about that, and the idea for Clutch grew from there. I believe that everyone deserves a happily ever after and would like to think there’s a “clutch,” or someone worth holding onto, out there for everyone.
- Some of the dating scenarios seem very specific. Were
any of the potential beaus or their dates based on real life experience?
- The dating scenarios in Clutch are pure fiction – a product of my overactive imagination, but I’m flattered you think they are realistic enough to be drawn from real life experiences. But my first novel, Click, is loosely based on my real-life dating experiences, as well as stories friends have shared with me. In some cases, things are written as they actually occurred. Other scenarios are exaggerated for entertainment value or comedic affect. And some scenarios are completely fictionalized, though I really did go out on a date with someone I met online who started every story (no joke!) with “My buddies and I were out drinking last night.”
- What is your favorite or go to bag you can’t live without?
- I have a black, Michael Kors hobo-style bag that is like an extension of my body. It houses all my essentials. Where I go, the bag goes.
- Have you found the perfect clutch (partner) in real life?
- I do! 18 years ago, I met my clutch on an dating website, when online dating was in its infancy. We celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary this summer and have two beautiful girls. My grandmother used to say, “For every chair, there’s a tush.” So, if it happened for me, there’s hope for anyone!
- What are your feelings on the man bag? We have our own little micro storage where they are left to only pockets. Gender inequality, or only fair since men’s clothing is designed with pocket storage in mind?
- Yes! A controversy for the ages. If my husband had a man bag, I fear he would leave home without me, as he wouldn’t need me to hold his keys, wallet, breath mints and other assorted sundries. LOL!
- Finally, how do you weigh in on the debate heard round the world. Can one have too many bags?
➜Sign up as a host here
➜Sign up as a host here