New England Furies Series
Author: Nicola R. White
Narrator: Elizabeth Tebb
Length: 9 hours 2 minutes
Series: New England Furies, Book 1
Publisher: Strange Roads Press
Released: Sep. 18, 2017
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Tara Walker dreams of more excitement than slinging plates of seafood for Cape Cod tourists, but as she learns when she is attacked and forced to fight for her life, fate sometimes has a funny way of giving you exactly what you wish for. Faced with strange new powers and embroiled in a murder investigation, Tara must now race to uncover the secrets of the ancient Fury that has woken inside of her – and of the evil that stalks her.
As if Tara’s life hasn’t gotten complicated enough, she is forced to ally herself with Jackson Byrne, witness to her assault and uncle to a pint-sized oracle whose fate is intertwined with hers. Skeptical, stubborn, and oh-so-sexy, Jackson wrestles with demons of his own. He is determined to ignore the attraction rising between them even faster than the body count, but like it or not, he and Tara need each other if they are to unravel the mysteries that surround them.
Nicola R. White comes from a small city on the east coast of Canada where ghost stories and superstitions abound. Although she is a lawyer by profession, her passion is reading and writing fiction. In 2016, Nicola’s debut novel, Fury’s Kiss, won the $10,000 Kobo Emerging Writer Prize in Romance. She is currently producing her first graphic novel.
Nicola is a member of Romance Writers of America and Romance Writers of Atlantic Canada. She is a frequent guest and speaker at literary events such as Word on the Street and Hal-Con, the largest sci fi/fantasy convention east of Montreal.
I am a literacy specialist with experience performing in a number of roles. Having spent a great deal of time speaking publicly as both an educator and an administrator, I have accrued a varied skill set that I feel confident I can use to advance and advertise bodies of work. My passion for literature drives me to bring the voices within it to life.
- Q: Have you always been a fan of Greek Mythology, or was it something new to you?
- I have always loved mythology of all types and wanted to be an archaeologist when I was a kid. I knew the basics of Greek mythology when the idea for Fury’s Kiss came to me, but I had to do much more detailed research for the book. As the series has grown, the world building has gotten very complex and I’ve learned a ton of interesting history and mythology.
- Q: Are there plans to bring the rest of the series to Audio?
- Yes! I hope to release the second book in audio by the end of this year, and then pick up the pace of production after that to get books three and four in listeners’ hands as well.
- I am SO excited!
- Q: Are there any more titles planned in this series or a potential spin-off in this world?
- Right now there are four books in my New England Furies series, with three more planned.
- I wonder who those are going to be about?!
- Q: I loved the character of Mrs. Hadley. Was she based on or inspired by anyone you know?
- Mrs. Hadley is based on my grandmother. She is not quite as eccentric as Mrs. Hadley is, but she’s a close second. She always has great stories to tell and knows the latest neighborhood gossip. She loves to try new things, even in her mid-80s, and you can count her to say something inappropriate and hilarious.
- Those are always the best!
- Q: Is there a hidden joke written into the bar? Especially with one of the men at the bar having the last name of Priest. One of those jokes that involves women of a certain hair color and a priest walk into a bar.
- The bar is actually modelled after a bar where I worked as a bartender while I was in university. The description of the interior is very similar to the real thing and some of the characters that come into the bar are based on real people I met while working there. There was no particular meaning behind the last name of Priest, although I liked the irony of the name being attached to a “bad guy”. However, there is someone who gets killed off in this book who shares a name with an old ex!
- Q: As readers and listeners we all have our favorite lines, but what were some of yours. It may be the equivalent of asking a parent to pick their favorite child, but they know.
- This is a tough one! I had a lot of fun writing Mrs. Hadley and she is a fan favorite, so pretty much any of her lines could qualify. I also had fun imagining the unintentionally funny things Ruby might say, like confusing her Navy SEAL uncle with an actual seal (the animal). Finally, I really like the last lines of the book, although I won’t quote them here and spoil it for readers/listeners.
To read my full review, Click Here
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Nicola R. White. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
Also available from Nicola R. White
Man’s Ruin is available for adoption on the Adopt-An-Audiobook page!
➜Sign up as a host here
What An Exciting Story, I Want More!
Fury’s Kiss is #01 in the New England Furies Series by Nicola R. White.
Elizabeth Tebb narrates.
HEA with No cliffhangers!
This is a connected series, with interacting characters, places, and themes. I would recommend reading these in order.
Length: 9 hrs and 2 mins
There is sex, dirty talk, and cursing. 👍 This is action packed so things are all part of the action.
There is a attempted rape scene in the beginning.
At the time of this posting, this Audiobook is currently available as part of the Audible Romance Package.
And the E-Book is currently FREE in the Kindle Store..
If you like Mythology, you are going to love this title! Lots of Greek lore that isn’t touched on as much, which is refreshing. The Furies take front and center, and they are pretty bad-ass!
“Hell has no Fury like a woman scorned!”
This series focuses on 3 Hot Messes of roommates that are also BFFs. They will come to inhabit a Fury to ultimately stop a big bad, maybe more than one, that is coming into our world. Well, that is over simplifying it, because these ladies are pretty bad in their own right. Alecto, Fury of Vengeance, finds her home in Tara. The shadow cat Fury of Jealousy, Megaera, finds a fitting home in Alex. While the slightly more logical Fury or Murder, Tisiphone, finds a home in Rach. Apate, Eris, and Keres are all mentioned as the potential foe, so not for sure if there is going to be more than one Top Villain, or all three.
“If Rachel’s first instinct was still to diagram the problem, my world hadn’t changed so much, after all.”
Fury’s Kiss focuses on Tara Walker the waitress. Once this story gets going, its hard to put it down. There is a little bit of everything that makes a great Paranormal read. There is romance, some laughs, adventure, the girlfriends you wish you had, super awesome powers, plus all the great bits of mythology you know and love. Plus some that I knew about but not in as much detail as I do now!
“Rach, I cannot become a dog-girl with bat wings. That is not OK.”
The Scooby Gang comes together quite quickly. You are introduced to all the major players of the the first 3 main books so I would suggest reading in order, as there are tid-bits that help fill out a character’s profile that you would loose if you start in the middle. Only #01 is in audio at this moment, but there are plans to get the others out soon. That’s about the only bad thing I can say about this title and series. The E-Books are available on Amazon for all that is currently written, just not audio.
Nicola R. White has created some awesome characters I just can’t get enough of. 😊 I can’t wait for the rest of the series to make it to audio. This was my first listen and won’t be my last!
Website⎮Twitter⎮Facebook⎮Audible⎮Amazon⎮GoodReads⎮OverDrive⎮GooglePlay⎮Scribd⎮BooKBub⎮Itunes⎮Barnes and Noble⎮Kobo
This was my first listen by Elizabeth Tebb. I could totally get lost in the story which is what you want from narrator. I did not like the Cajun accent for Ty. I grew up in the area that accent comes from and it did not work for me. Luckily it’s not used much.
Normal speed was fine, however I listened at 0.90x. It is my personal preference.
Ebook obtained through the Kindle store.
Audiobook obtained for free at my request and I am voluntarily leaving this unbiased review.